How To Draw Lewis Structures
6 Steps to Follow
1. Calculate the total number of valence electrons (group number is equal to the number of valence electrons for an element on the Periodic Table)
2. Connect atoms in a molecule using bonds
3. Subtract electrons used in bonds from the total electrons calculated in part 1 (each bond has 2 electrons)
4. Use remaining electrons to make outer atoms happy (octet, 8 electrons) but remember that Hydrogen only wants 2 electrons.
5. If there are any electrons left, put them on the central atom
6. Check if everyone atom is happy (octet). If not, make double and triple bonds by using electrons from the neighboring atoms.