Data obtained with a mass spectrometer show that, in a sample of an element, 60.11% of the atoms have a mass of 68.926 amu, whereas the remaining 39.89% of the atoms have masses of 70.926 amu. Calculate the atomic mass of this element and identify it.
Explanation: To calculate the atomic mass of the element we will multiple the mass of each sample by the % abundance (in a decimal form) and add them together.
Atomic mass = 68.926 amu(0.6011) + 70.926 amu(0.3989)= 69.72
Now we can look at the Periodic Table to find the element with this mass, which turns out to be Ga