Organic chemistry is a difficult class that more pre-health students are required to take. While, it has no math, it involves a lot of logic and understanding. At Transformation Tutoring, organic chemistry is one of our favorite subjects to tutor. Here are some tips and tricks for studying organic chemistry well, and making learning easier.
1. Practice using various sources. The more different problems a student practices, the more equipped he/she will be in handling any organic chemistry question on the test. A student can do recitation problems, textbook problems, past exams and other sources for best results.
2. Count the carbons. Many students make the mistake of losing carbons in their mechanism. Therefore, it is very important to always count carbons, and even number carbons for best results. Organic molecules are often very big and complicated, and its easy to lose track of carbons without numbering.
3. Use pencil, so that it will be easy to erase and redo parts of the problems that are wrong or that didnt work out. Many of our students use colored pens as well to show clearly different arrows and reagents.
4. We recommend "Orgo as a Second Language" book by David Klein for extra practice as well as different tricks and tips. The book is a workbook full of many examples and strategies.
5. Form a study group of two to three people. Students can practice problems in a study group, explain and learn from each other. It is a great resource and many find it extremely useful.
We hope that these tips for Organic Chemistry studying are helpful. To speak to an amazing organic chemistry tutor today, please call 646-407-9078. We love helping our students achieve their dreams!