Chemistry Regent Exam August 2022
19. According to the kinetic molecular theory, which statement explains why an ideal gas can be compressed to a smaller volume?
(1) The motion of the gas particles is circular and orderly.
(2) The force of attraction between the gas particles is strong.
(3) As the gas particles collide, the total energy of the system decreases.
(4) The gas particles are separated by great distances relative to their size.
Explanation: Kinetic molecular theory has the following statements which need to be memorized:
Gas particles have negligible volume.
The gas particles are in continuous random motion and move in straight lines.
No forces of attraction or repulsion are considered to exist between the particles.
Collisions of gas particles may transfer energy from one particle to another, but the total kinetic energy remains the same.