In this video, we learn how assign R/S configuration on a chiral center.
1. Find a chiral carbon (stereocenter) = carbon connected to 4 different groups.
2. Assign priorities 1-4 to atoms attached to the carbon where 1 is the biggest atomic number and 4 is the smallest atomic number. Draw in hydrogen whenever necessary (if a carbon is shown with only 3 bonds).
3. If atoms are the same, you must continue going atom by atom until the first difference. Do not look at the group as a whole.
4. If group 4 is dashed, then connect 1 through 3 and determine the direction. Clockwise (R- to the right), counterclockwise is S.
5. Count a double bond as if the atom were connected to two other atoms and similarly for the triple bond.
6.What to do if the number 4 is not on a dash? TRICK!
Switch the number 4 with whatever group is on the dash. Determine stereochemistry with the new numbers, and then say the OPPOSITE stereochemistry.
Are you looking for an online organic chemistry tutor? Text 646-407-9078 or contact us here
We also offer: general chemistry tutoring, physics tutoring, calculus tutoring, biology tutoring and physical chemistry tutoring.